Buying at auction
To find the items that interest you, you can:
- consult the upcoming auctions’ calendar online and browse the catalogues;
- visit the exhibitions preceding our auctions that are always open to the public;
- register for our newsletter to receive e-mail updates so you never miss a sale that interests you;
- request a hard copy of the catalogues by asking the department of interest;
- create an account on our auction portal to keep track of sales and lots, view condition reports online and save your preferences.
Participating in our auctions
If you are a private individual, it is necessary to register by providing a government-issued photo ID (identity card, passport or driving license) and your full contacts details (address, e-mail address and telephone number).
If you are a company or an organisation, it is necessary to register by providing the Chamber of commerce company registration and a government-issued photo ID of the owner.
It will be possible to leave offers up to 24 hours before the auction or participate directly in the auction room after registering at the reception.
For some types of sales, a deposit or financial references may be required as a condition for allowing your participation.
There are four ways to participate in Finarte auctions:
- In-person: after registering at the reception at the auction venue, you can bid in person in the salesroom by using the numbered paddle you’ll be provided with;
- Telephone bid: you would need to fill in the form for the telephone bids and then send it by e-mail or fax at least 24 hours before the auction to the Bid Office. We will call you directly and bid on your behalf;
- Absentee bid: you would need to fill in the form for the absentee bids and send by e-mail or fax at least 24 hours before the auction to the Bid Office. You can also place an absentee bid through our platform, by logging into your profile and selecting the lot and the amount of your offer though a tent menu;
- online: it is possible to register on our auction platform and participate in the auction in real-time by making your bids from the web.
If you need further assistance while registering to make an offer, contact the relevant Bid Office using the contact our bid office:
Bid Office auction in Milano
+39 02 3363801
Bid Office auction in Roma
+39 06 6791107
Bid Office online platform
+39 06 6791107
A fee is added to the hammer price, which the buyer is required to pay as part of the amount due.
The Buyer’s Premium is set as follows:
- 29% ( 23,77 + VAT) of the Hammer Price of the lot, up to a maximum of Euro 2.999,99;
- 26% (21,32 + VAT) of the Hammer Price of the lot in excess of Euro 2.999,99 up to Euro 99.999,99;
- 22% (18,04 + VAT) of the Hammer Price of the lot in excess of Euro 99.999,99 up to Euro 499.999,99;
- 15% (12,30 + VAT) or any part of the Hammer Price in excess of Euro 499.999,99
For the auctions of the Watches and Oriental Art departments, the Buyer’s Premium is set as follows:
- 26% (21,31 +VAT)of the Hammer Price of the lot, up to a maximum of Euro 99.999,99
- 22% (18,03 + VAT) or any part of the Hammer Price in excess of Euro 99.999,99
For the auctions of the Wines & Spirits and Numismatic departments, the Buyer’s Premium is set at a fixed rate of 22% (18.03 + VAT).
For the auctions of the Comics departments, the Buyer’s Premium is set at a fixed rate of 20% (16.40 + VAT).
For auctions of the Automotive department, the Buyer’s Premium is set as follows:
- 16,47% (13,5 + VAT) of the Hammer Price of the lot, up to a maximum of Euro 499.999,99;
- 13,42% (11 +VAT)or any part of the Hammer Price in excess of Euro 499.999,99
In the event that, with reference to a specific lot, the percentages specified in the auction catalogue are different from those specified herein with respect to the Buyer’s Premium, the percentages set out in the catalogue will prevail.
Resale Royalty’s or Artist Resale Right
The Artist Resale Right is the right of the authors of works or manuscripts and their heirs, where applicable, to receive a resale royalty when their work is sold. The fee is due only if the sale price surpasses € 3,000 and is thus determined:
- 4% for the part of the sale price between 0 and € 50,000;
- 3% for the part of the sale price between € 50,000.01 and € 200,000;
- 1% for the part of the sale price between € 200,000.01 and € 350,000;
- 0.5% for the part of the sale price between € 350,000.01 and € 500,000;
- 0.25% for the part of the sale price exceeding € 500,000.
The buyer has to pay for the Artist’s Resale Right.
Payment and collection of lots
The payment of the lots purchased in the auction must be made within seven days from the date of the sale.
Payment can be made in the following ways:
- cash – for amounts lower than 1,999.99 euros (only by appointment with the administration);
- debit card or credit card (American Express, Visa or Mastercard)
- wire transfer to Finarte Auctions Srl
Bank: BANCO BPM
IBAN: IT65 G 05034 01748 000000002588
Reason for the bank transfer: Statement number
- cheque, bank cheque (you can collect the lot(s) once the payment is received)
After the payment, you can:
- arrange an appointment with the department for collection;
- request a shipping quote to our partner courier MG Srl (email: firstname.lastname@example.org / phone: +39 0187 605663) or using your own personal courier.
To export works of art that are more than 70 years old, the Italian law requires a certificate of free circulation.
The waiting time for the release of this document is about 40 days from the presentation of the work and related documents to the Fine Arts Superintendence. The certificate is valid for three years since its issuance, and it is non-renewable.
If you are a winning foreign bidder, you should immediately contact the competent department about the purchased work. Failure to issue or delay the release of the license does not constitute a cause for termination or cancellation of the sale, nor does it justify the payment delay by the buyer.
For further information contact us