Automotive: Finarte 2020 Selection + 1000 Finarte
from Wednesday 28 October 2020 a Friday 30 October 2020, 05:00 PM • Online
- Matching numbers.
- Rare 1955 example, so called “Pre-A”.
- Vintage Telefunken radio.
- Excellent conditions
FIVA.“Attestation d’identification”, Porsche France. Certificate of Authenticity, Porsche Cars North America.
French registration and plates, in order.
Giro di Sicilia.
Rallye Monte-Carlo Historic.
Le Mans Classic.
Coppa d’Oro delle Dolomiti.
Coppa delle Alpi by 1000 Miglia.
Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance.
Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance.
Chantilly Arts & Elegance Richard Mille.
Concorso d’eleganza Villa D’Este.
Porsche Club Events
The 356 was created by Ferdinand "Ferry" Porsche (son of the founder of the German company Ferdinand), who founded the Austrian company. Like the Volkswagen Beetle designed by Ferdinand Porsche Sr., the 356 was an air-cooled four-cylinder, rear engine, rear-wheel drive with bodywork and integrated structure. The chassis was a completely new design as was the bodywork, the work of the Porsche employee Erwin Komenda, though some mechanical components, including the engine block and some components of the suspension, were based on and initially purchased from Volkswagen. The 356 was a luxury sports car and the first Porsche series car. Engineering innovations continued throughout the years of production, contributing to its sporting success and popularity. Production began in 1948 in Gmünd, Austria, where about 50 cars were built. On June 8, 1948, the first car obtained the relevant approval: it was the Porsche 356/1 Roadster this was followed by the 356/2 with production continuing to 1950. In 1950 the factory was moved to Zuffenhausen, Germany, and here are the first356 retrospectly called, "Pre-A". Initially only 1100 cc, then 1300cc and from 1952 also 1500 cc they were easily recognizable by the windshield divided into two parts by a central rib. All were also available in a convertible version (Cabriolet, Speedster and then Roadster). The 356 1500 cc, the so-called "Pre-A", produced between 1953 and 1955 is distinguished from its predecessor by a number of features. The bumpers are moved away from the bodywork. The windshield is now one piece with a center curvature (Knickscheibe). The handle on the luggage compartment lid is elongated and starting in1954 fitted with a slot bearing the Porsche frieze. The rear lights are round. The rear indicators, also round, are close to the rear lights. The front indicators are round and flat, and as of 1954, integrated into the horn grille. The brake light is integrated into the rear light unit. The license plate lighting is in a chromed housing above the plate. The, rear longitudinal, engine is of the 546/2 type, an air-cooled 4-cylinder boxer with a displacement of 1,488cc, fed by two Solex 32 PBI carburettors. Distribution is single-shaft with rods & rocker arms and overhead valves. With a compression of 7:1 the unit is good for 55hp at 4,400 rpm, while the 1500S, the top engine in the range, generates 70 hp. The chassis is a platform, the front suspension is with longitudinal swing arms and transverse torsion bars. Rear swinging axle with longitudinal arms. Screwand roller steering. Drum brakes. Traction, of course, rear. The clutch is dry single-plate and the mechanical gearbox (type 519) is 4 gears. The weight of about 830 kg, for a length of just under 4m. In 1956 the 356 was replaced by the 356 A. General production of the 356 continued until April 1965, well after the new 911 model made its debut in the autumn if 1963. 76,313 units were produced of these, 7,627 between the (approximately 50) "Gmünd" and the "Pre-A"
So called “Knickscheibe” or “Bent-windshield” for the one piece windshield, this early and very elegant Porsche 356 1500 Coupé, with chassis no. 53785, was completed on 30 June 1955 and delivered new to the U.S.; it enjoyed regular usage until 1968. With a low mileage on the odometer, it was kept into a rural barn in California. Over time, its condition went bad but, at the same time, it remained complete and unmolested. It was recovered and delivered to France some years ago. A rare Reutter, this coupé was first subjected to a comprehensive inspection and appraisal and found to be complete, undamaged and rust-free. It was entrusted to 356 expert Ever Green Cars in Casalmaiocco, near Milan, Italy, where it was given a careful bare-metal restoration, fully documented, that took hundreds of hours over a two-year period from 2013–2014. Originally finished in Pearl Gray with a red leatherette interior, the new owner opted for a period correct, delightful and very rare factory colour: Palm Green (526) with complementary beige upholstery. The interior features factory-correct materials, with leather seats, and is highlighted by a custom-made, aftermarket, vintage Telefunken radio, restored by a German audio specialist. The interior is completed by a dedicated set of suitcases in matching green leather. A set of white-wall tires present an appealing contrast with the color. All mechanical components were properly overhauled. Engine is Matching Numbers. Since its completion some years ago, this rare and charming little Porsche coupé has been scarcely driven, but including several tourist rallies and short weekend jaunts near Cannes. It’s fitted with knurled headlights, not original, but mandatory in France. The owner has installed a hand-priming fuel pump to allow easier starting when the car is revived after winter storage. The car is supplied with a FIVA dated 2014, a comprehensive file of restoration photographs, a complete tool roll and its original jack, plus matching green luggage.
State of the art
Restored, in excellent condition. Matching Numbers.