1933 Alfa Romeo 6C 1900 Gran Turismo (Alfa Romeo)
Chassis No. 121315288 - Engine no. 121315288
- Rare model: supposedly only 2 specimens survived, one is at auction, the other one is at the Museo Storico Alfa Romeo.
- Eligible for the Mille Miglia. As a prewar car, it has the advantage of having a front position in the starting grid.
- Matching Numbers
- With a low and sleek profile and its with four doors, it anticipates by far the modern sports sedans.
- Restored in the 1960s by Boano body shop in Rome.
Certifications and Statements
Registration and Italian license plates in order.
EligibilityMille Miglia. Eligible. As a prewar, has the plus of positioning early on the starting line.
Giro di Sicilia. Eligible.
Targa Florio. Eligible.
Goodwood Revival. Eligible
Coppa d’Oro delle Dolomiti. Eligible.
Vernasca Silver Flag. Eligible.
California Mille: Eligible.
Nürburgring Classic. Eligible.
Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. Eligible.Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance. Eligible.
Chantilly Arts & Elegance Richard Mille. Eligible.Concorso d’eleganza Villa D’Este. Eligible.
€ 250.000 - 350.000
Un utente ha offerto
La tua offerta è la più alta
In the early 1920s, Vittorio Jano was commissioned with creating a lightweight, high-performance vehicle to replace the large and heavy RL and RM models. Between 1927 and 1954, the Alfa Romeo 6C was produced in a series of models: road, race, and sports cars. The "6C" name refers to the number of cylinders of the car's straight six-cylinder engine. The different models’ bodyworks were made by coachbuilders such as Castagna, James Young, Pinin Farina, Touring and Zagato. From 1933, a custom-made Alfa Romeo’s built bodywork became available; it was made in Portello. The car was introduced in April 1925 at the Salone dell'Automobile di Milano as the 6C 1500. The 2-litre formula - that led Alfa Romeo to win the Automobile World Championship in 1925 - changed into the 1.5-litre formula for 1926’s races season. The production started in 1927, with the P2 Grand Prix car as a base model. The more performative 6C 1750 was introduced in 1929 in Rome. The car featured a top speed of 95 mph (153 km/h), a chassis designed to flex and bend over curved surfaces, as well as sensitive geared-up steering. It was produced in six series between 1929 and 1933. The base model had a single overhead camshaft. The Super Sport and Gran Sport versions had a double overhead camshaft (DOHC), and a compressor was available. Most of the cars were sold just as a chassis then bodied by coachbuilders. The 1750 quickly gained a reputation for winning races. In 1933, the last year of the 1750 production, the new Alfa Romeo 6C 1900 version was introduced, with a displacement of 1917 cm³ and with a light alloy head – used here for the first time. The car was equipped with a 4-speed synchro gearbox and a freewheel device. The 6C 1900 is the 6th series of all the Alfa Romeo 6C. It lasted just one year, and the total production of the Alfa Romeo 6C 1900 was of 197 cars. Alfa Romeo cars were absolute leaders in the history of the Mille Miglia race, and the various 6C models participated with actual squadrons, led by the most talented drivers of the time. Even the uncommon 6C 1900 participated in three editions, in 1934, 1936 and 1937, and in that last year, it ranked 40th overall with Longato - Girardi.
The 1933 Alfa Romeo 6C 1900 Gran Turismo, has the chassis no. 121315288. As the chassis of the 6C model are numbered from 121315101 to 121315300, the proposed car should be one of the last ones built. With a low and sleek profile and with its four doors, the Gran Turismo anticipates by far the modern sports sedans. It is believed that only two specimens still exist, the other one being on show at the Museo Storico Alfa Romeo. The car was rediscovered in Rome and became part of the great collection of Franco Contigliozzi, which also included a very rare one Lancia Astura Pinin Farina “Bocca”. The 6C 1900 was restored at the end of the 60s by the prestigious Boano’s body shop in Rome. Following the death of Contigliozzi, the car was acquired in 1969 by another important collector in Milan and became part of the Artom collection. The car lost, on this occasion, the Rome 38728 plate and was registered with a new plate MIG50923, that it still has today. In 1981, the car was acquired by another renowned collector. The 6C 1900, chassis no. 121315288, is part of a selected group of cars from his collection. The car was supposedly at a concourse d’elegance in the 70s. However, it was rarely used and mostly just kept and exhibited in the collections of which it was part. The frame no. 121315288 is today in an excellent state of preservation and always functioning, except during the years of restoration. Special note: the interiors have been restored with a luckily found precious piece of original fabric preservedin an old spare parts warehouse in Rome. The car, which has the correct Pirelli Stella Bianca 5.50 x 18 tires, has the peculiarity of the four "suicide" doors and is coated with a rich reddish chestnut colour and its pinstriping, grid, and laced wheels were painted in red. The car is matching numbers.
State of the Art: Old restoration, in excellent condition and working order. Matching numbers.
- Stefano d’Amico, Maurizio Tabucchi, Alfa Romeo – Le vetture di produzione dal 1910, Giorgio Nada Ed., Milano 2007
- Angela Cherrett, Alfa Romeo Tipo 6C 1500, 1750, 1900, Haynes, UK 1989
- Luigi Fusi, Enzo Ferrari, Griffith Borgeson, Le Alfa Romeo di Vittorio Jano, Autocritica, Italia 1982
- Stefano d’Amico, Registro Italiano Alfa Romeo 1962-2004, Edizioni RIAR, Italia 2004