Yuruba, region of Abeokuta (State of Ogun, Nigeria)
Wood with a thick, crusty coating
H 23 cm
Cup for worship.
Caryatid cup showing a kneeling female figure balancing a tray on her head, with her hands resting on her bosom. It is carved according to the elements of Yoruba sculpting.It belonged to a priest who used it for Agéré Ifa worship. Its divinatory function included using sacred palm nuts which were spread across the tray during consultations.
€ 3.000 - 4.000
Un utente ha offerto
La tua offerta è la più alta
- Former Paolo Morigi collection (Lugano) (Morigi inventory label num. 551);
- Former private collection (Lugano);
- Lugano 2002, Palazzo Riva, Banca Svizzera Italiana (BSI);
- VENTURI LUCA M. “Anime antiche, arte negra, da una raccolta di sculture dell’Africa occidentale” BSI Bank, Lugano 2002, fig. 62;
- FAGG WILLIAM “Yoruba sculptures of West Africa” New York 1982, pag. 179 (Agéré Ifa);