1944 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 Sport Berlinetta (Carrozzeria Turinga)
chassis no. 915207, engine no. 926007
- One of only three cars with this outstanding “Turinga” design.
- For almost 50 years by Uno Ranch, famous Swedish businessman and aviator.
- Known and detailed history. One of the first cars Sweden from Italy, after World War II.
- 3 owners and low mileage.
- Engine matching number.
- Concours restoration, to keep the perfect balance between original in most parts. Repainted and mechanically overhauled.
- Eligible Mille Miglia and main Concours d’Elegance.
Photo by: Carlo te Lintelo
The history of Alfa Romeo is closely entwined with the history of the automobile. And the Alfa Romeo 6C stands out as one of the most representative models, of both the early and the modern post-war vehicles, among racing and touring cars. The long journey of the Alfa Romeo 6C lasted almost 25 years, accompanying Alfa Romeo from the 20s to the 50s. The story began in the early 1920s, Vittorio Jano was commissioned with creating a lightweight, high-performance vehicle to replace the RL and RM models. The Alfa Romeo 6C was not simply a model, but rather a complete range of road, race, and sports cars, produced between 1927 and 1954. The "6C" name refers to the car's six cylinder inline-engine. The various models’ bodies were made by coachbuilders such as Castagna, James Young, Pinin Farina, Touring and Zagato. From 1933, an Alfa Romeo built body also became available. The car was introduced in April 1925 at the Salone dell'Automobile di Milano as the 6C 1500, since the 2-litre class - that had given Alfa Romeo victory in the 1925 Automobile World Championship – was substituted by 1.5-litre class for 1926’s race season. Production started in 1927, with the P2 Grand Prix car as a base model. The more powerful 6C 1750 was introduced in 1929 in Rome. It was produced in six series between 1929 and 1933. The 1750 quickly gained a reputation as a race winner. In 1933, the new Alfa Romeo 6C 1900 version was introduced. The powerful 8C 2300s were reserved for races and, to satisfy the market’s demand for a high-performance automobile sold at a more modest price, Alfa Romeo introduced the 6C 2300 at the Salone dell’Auto di Milano in 1934. That same year, three 6C 2300 Gran Turismo bodied by Carrozzeria Touring won the first three places at the 24 Ore di Pescara. Following this success, Alfa Romeo sold the model under the new “Pescara” name. The arrival of the 6C 2300 B was a real revolution, introducing a chassis with independent suspensions on all four wheels. This car was “the king of the hill” in the history of the Mille Miglia race from 1935 to 1938, and the various 6C models participated with real teams, led by the most talented drivers of the time. The Alfa Romeo 6C 2300 was replaced by the 6C 2500, the last version in the series before World War II; apex and swan song of the 6C cars. When production resumed, after the war, many special versions were built, shown in concours d’elegance and still important as participants in races. The development of the 6C engine, begun in 1925, ended with the final 2.5-liter displacement version, production of which continued until 1953, still clearly maintaining the fundamental design by Vittorio Jano. The presentation of the sedan version took place at the Berlin Motor Show, in 1939, and was followed by the long wheelbase version, intended for special applications. In 1942, a major transformation of the frame was introduced, stiffened by a central cross-beam. The 6C 2500 Sport version, also presented in Berlin in 1939, was fitted with an engine derived from that of the 6C 2300 B Mille Miglia; the increase in displacement was obtained with a 2 mm larger bore. The Weber 36 DCR carburetor was the same as the Turismo model but with a different regulation. 5.50x18 tires were mounted on wire wheels. In 1941, however, no Sport models were built: the production of war material taking the upper hand. In 1942 the Sport version underwent the same modification as the Turismo model chassis; the change being introduced with frame no. 915119. Few cars were built in 1943 and 1944 due to the war. With the post-war restart of production, many chassis were supplied to external coachbuilders for the construction of custom-built cars. Pinin Farina and Touring were awarded most of these deliveries, followed by the Stabilimenti Farina, Ghia and Boneschi; Monviso, Castagna, Balbo's successors and (the Swiss) Graber each set up only one car. From a “rib” of the 6C 2500 Sport, the famous Super Sport version was born: it was a major development for competition, with a shortened chassis and three carburetors instead of one double-barrel. The last of the 6C 2500 Sport model was set up in 1950. The 2500 was the last version of the 6C series and was replaced by the Alfa Romeo 1900.
The Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 Sport, with chassis no. 915207 and body no. 2857, is one of the very few examples (18 in all, according to Luigi Fusi; of them, 9 were Sport Berlinetta) built in 1944, a very particular and difficult moment: at the height of the Second World War, when most of the limited production (which continued despite the bombing) wasdestined for war needs. It was built with a Berlinetta (4 seats) body, by the Carrozzeria called “Turinga”, with the famous and innovative Superleggera system. The Superleggera method was introduced by the Carrozzeria Touring in 1936. The technique (borrowed from the construction of airplanes) provided for a shell in thin (but resistant) steel tubing to which aluminum body panels were applied. Furthermore, the frame and body were all one, pre-dating the advent of the unibody by several years. Carrozzeria Touring which, together with Pinin Farina and well ahead of the other coachbuilders, set up most of the 6C2500, and was the architect of the iconic versions of the vehicle on that chassis. Touring's creations were favoured by an exclusive clientele and earned several successes in the concours d’elegance, as well as great results in competition.In short, the Carrozzeria Touring was the reference for the 6C 2500 model. Chassis no. 915207, with its particular dynamical and imperative line, is halfway from the pre-war models to the splendour of the post war "Villa d'Este".Regarding the name “Turinga”, when relations between Fascist Italy and the rest of Europe started to become hostile, Mussolini introduced an (unwritten) law to avoid the use of foreign words, so "Inter" (International football club-soccerclub from Milan) became “Ambrosiana” (Saint Ambrogio is Milan’s Patron Saint), "Cognac" became “Acquarzente”(burning water), "Basket" became “pallacanestro” and, in order to "Italianize" their trademark,"Touring" became“Turinga”. A very small number of Touring’s cars were badged “Turinga”, and of these very few were the 6C 2500; only three Berlinetta survive today, one of which has been modified, so only two with these shapes still exist; one of the seis the car in this lot. The lines, typically "Touring", are marked by the presence and grandeur of the volumes, but remain dynamical. In particular, the nose, which is very tapered but pronounced, like a narrow bow between the large oval headlights cutting in half the horizontal stretched lines of the grills and semi-integrated bumpers (a novelty for a car that was born before the war). The proportions of the volumes are balanced and harmoniously connected. The luxury finishes and details, worthy of a goldsmith, alternate with racing specific such as the side and rear windows in plexiglass. Inside, a tangible feeling of luxury and refinement; the entire interior and the 4 sumptuous seats are covered with corduroy; pockets, handles and knobs, in chromed metal, wood and bakelite are characterized by their harmonious and curvilinear design, with attention to every detail; the refined dashboard is in an exceptional textured leather finish under a thin layer of screen-printed transparent plexiglass. The car with chassis no. 915207 was produced on February 29th, 1944 and sold on June 10th, 1946. It was delivered new to Sweden by the Swedish importer Fallai AB. Interviewed at the end of May 1946, Luigi Fallai, said that he had driven what is believed to be "our" car or, in any case, one of the three new Berlinetta from Italy to Stockholm in five days, a journey of 3000 km, crossing Switzerland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany and Denmark. He complained about the road conditions and the (consequent) five punctures. Fallai was the first to arrive by car from Italy to Sweden after the end of the war. Despite the precarious state of the roads he nonetheless manage to achieve a notable performance, reaching 150 km/h on the straights and 90 km/h on the bends. Fallai, in news articles of the era, complains of the collapse of post-war automotive production, reduced to 20% compared to the pre-war period but he had the honour of contributing to its recovery, delivering, within three weeks, 60 Fiat, which were followed by Lancia and Alfa.Of this quota, the Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 Sport Berlinetta was the flag bearer of the reopened trade route. Luigi Fallai delivered chassis no. 915207 to its first owner, the famous Mr. Uno Ranch of Göteborg. Ranch was a Bugatti dealer and after the war he also imported Triumph motorbikes and cars in Sweden. He owned several airplanes as well. Ranch founded the company "Motorfirma Uno Ranch" on his 21st birthday (at the time, the age of majority) and managed to obtain the rights of general agent for the Zenith motorcycles. He also became a representative for Bugatti, with which, together with Prince Bertil (heir to the throne of Carl XVI Gustaf-current King of Sweden-until the law of succession was modified in 1980), he participated in several races. As a driver he specialized in uphill races and in the1930s broke several Swedish records. In 1945, he became general agent for Triumph. He had the workshop manuals printed in Swedish and built a complete warehouse with all the spare parts, thanks to this Triumph became one of the most popular brands in Sweden during the 1950s. In the aviation sector he was general agent for the English ignition liquid system for BTH jet engines. When motorcycle sales began to decline in the mid-1950s, he secured his general agent license for Triumph cars. "Motorfirma Uno Ranch" was sold to British Leyland in 1967. Ranch was Sweden's oldest aviation pilot, being still active at the age of 83. Mr. Ranch was not only wealthy, he was also a “car-guy”. He owned and drove a huge variety of cars, but kept the Alfa Romeo, chassis no. 915207, for a very long time. The vehicle comes with extensive documentation, such as black & white pictures, newspaper articles of Mr. Ranch with the car and the 6C 2500user manual with the Ranch’ company name. Also, the original registration document and all original road tax bills from 1948 until 1965. Mr. Ranch drove with a trade registration number, but in 1947 the car was registered with the Göteborg number O11118. Around 1965 he put the car away in his garage with a broken water pump. In 1994, he decided to sell the car. Numerous pictures of the car in his barn are also available.Mr. Ranch sold the car to Mr. Vidfeldt, also from Sweden. The original sales contract between Mr. Ranch and Mr.Vidfeldt is also kept. Mr. Vidfeldt restored the car and overhauled the mechanics, but he repainted the car in a “wrong”colour blue. He did not register the car and only used the Alfa as a “trailer queen” for classic car shows in Sweden. Mr.Vidfeldt died in 2014 and when the current (so 3rd) owner bought the car from the Vidfeldt family in 2014, it had only done 61,500 km since new. Even today, the car boasts record low original mileage for a car built in 1944. The car has many rare details, testimony of the era and style, and it is incredibly original. Under its bodywork, many aspects are still as they were when it left Turinga, including the original and rare corduroy seats. The current owner decided to return the car to its original colour–which was found on the car in several places. A technical renovation was needed, as the first restoration in Sweden was not done withthe necessary care. The engine is matching numbers and was overhauled by specialists Van Giersbergen. There are bills for a sum in excess of 120,000 Euro. The current owner participated successfully in the 2018 and 2019 Mille Miglia inItaly, winning the award for ‘Most beautiful Alfa Romeo of the Mille Miglia 2018’ in which Walter da Silva was a member of the Jury and therefore received the ‘Coppa Clemente Biondetti’. The car boasts official registration documents and plates from the Registro Mille Miglia and A.C.I. Storico.
State of the Art
Top level restoration.
Certificats and Statements
Fiva. Alfa Romeo, Registro Mille Miglia and A.C.I. Storico.
Registration and Dutch plates.
Giro di Sicilia.
Le Mans Classic.
Coppa d’Oro delle Dolomiti.
Coppa delle Alpi by 1000 Miglia.
Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance.
Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance.
Chantilly Arts & Elegance Richard Mille.
Concorso d’eleganza Villa D’Este.